Wednesday, September 22, 2010

My marathon experience

Although I don't know if I can say I'll ever run a marathon again, I'm sure glad I did it! It was an incredible experience for me that I'd like to quickly document...

***I have to thank McKay for supporting me in this goal. He has been so wonderful to let me go on long Wednesday runs, complain about sore muscles and he and the boys were there cheering at the finish line. I couldn't have done this without your help and I love you!

I was up at 4:20 a.m. to get ready and catch the shuttle that would take us up the canyon. It's amazing how adrenaline can erase tiredness! I ate my half a banana, few bites of yogurt and sports beans as light fuel for the race. I had a few friends running the race who I was hoping to meet up with at some point. On our first hotel stop on the shuttle my friends Meredith and Jena jumped on! I was so excited to see them and be able to catch up for the two hours we had to kill until race time! I also ended up seeing my friend Heather and ran with her for awhile. We ran a 20 miler together in training and it was so great to catch up and spend some time with her!

I would say the first 13 miles were a breeze. I think from now on I'll be a half marathon girl :)

I think my favorite part of the race came about halfway through. I was starting to hurt a little bit and wanted to throw myself a pity party. I saw a few people up ahead pushing what looked like a baby stroller. I thought to myself how crazy those people were to push their kids during a marathon! As I got closer, I realized three people were taking turns pushing a handicapped man through the race. It made me forget about my pain for a bit and be so thankful that I have a strong body that can run! What an inspiration those people were to give him that opportunity!

As we hit miles 16+, I was always excited to see what??? Port o potties! They were stationed at each mile which meant one more down! So dumb I know and I don't think I'll ever be excited to see port o potties again in my life!

As I passed mile 20, I kept telling myself to just make it to the next drink station...if I could do that I would be done in no time. I'd let myself speed walk through them to make sure I got a good drink each time. I think that's what gave me motivation to finish!

Miles 24-26 were definitely the hardest. It's all a mind game at that point. But what an amazing feeling it was to turn the corner and see the finish line! I felt so accomplished and very proud that my training and work had paid off...and minus any serious injuries!

I will continue to enjoy running and hope its something I can do for a long time. A life event I will never forget...



































11 comments:

McGiven Family.... said...

You are a rockstar!

Adrienne said...

you're amazing! sounds like it all went really smoothly. i really want to do a marathon at least once before i die. sad i missed you last time i was in ut

Lisa Mc said...

You are my hero. I'm so proud of your HUGE accomplishment.

Angela and Mike said...

YOU ARE MY HERO. No way. I can't believe you did a full. I'm training for a half right now and I think it's the perfect distance. DId your legs or arms go numb or anything crazy? Way to go girl. Now that you've done that...everything else will seem like a piece of cake. I guess I can't complain about my 10 mile run this weekend now!

Renee said...

So proud of you Linds!

melissa marie said...

Seriously you are my hero!! We are so proud of you. Wow is all I can say.

Whitney Jensen said...

That's awesome Linds! I'm super impressed.

Heather Brinkerhoff said...

wahoo! You are amazing!! So fun to see you so much the last few months. I'm so grateful for your friendship!

jakeandstephanietaylor said...

Nice job my friend! Youre amazinG!

Jess said...

I totally got emotional reading this. I am so proud of you, and half marathons rock! I remember feeling emotional when I finished my first half. You go girl.

Heather O'Brien said...

You rock my world! Way to go. P.S. How fun that you started another blog. I am excited to start reading.