Sunday, July 20, 2008

Goodbye Grandpa














My Grandpa Neiger passed away this afternoon. I know many people never get to meet their grandparents before they go, but I've been lucky to have all four of mine alive through my life thus far. My Grandpa and Grandma Neiger live in California so it's been harder to see them all the time, but I've always known from a little girl how much they love me. My Grandpa had the BEST smile and laugh and made jokes left and right about all kinds of things. He was really fun to be around and I know he looked forward to us visiting. He and my Grandma made the trip from California to come to our wedding which meant a lot. At that time he wasn't feeling well, and it's around then he learned he'd have to do dialysis as his kidney's weren't working properly. He lived with that for more than five years...what a tough guy! I know his spirit will live with us and he will always have a special place in my heart. Here's the list for today in honor of him...

Grandpa Neiger...
1. Big smile and great laugh
2. BBQ's...they never spared any expense when we'd visit and always cooked up filet mignon!
3. Aggravation...we could always get under his skin when he'd lose!
4. Washers...I think he made this game up...if anyone else has heard of it, don't tell me because I'll always believe my Grandpa made it up :)
5. Sitting on their driveway in the evenings on visits
6. His chair...
7. We'd always wake up to him drinking his coffee and playing solitaire in the mornings when we'd visit
8. He gave great shoulder massages!
9. Loved Westerns and Old Spice
10. I found out later in his life that he loved Stephen's hot chocolate and I sent it to him a few times...wish I would have known it long before I found out!
11. Had funny little nicknames for us all the time...called Grandma "Ma" and usually added some silly name to the end of ours...I know Chelsea was "pickle-puss"
12. Loved his grandkids, his two sons and his wife

Love you Gramps...

10 comments:

Taylor Family said...

Oh Linds, I am so sorry! It sounds like he was a great guy. But he is probably much happier where he is. I have yet to loose any grandparents but I can imagine it is hard.

Amberly said...

I am so sorry. It really is so hard to loose someome you love. At least we know he is in a better place, and probly way happier now. I think there is also a peace that comes from knowing you will be able to see them again someday, this isn't the end. It is still hard though, I am so sorry for your loss.

brookelovesjay said...

I feel for you! I've lost both grandparents on my dad's side and I have to admit, I am terrified to lose my other grandparents. I know I won't handle it well at all and will probably be a mess for a good month or so. But I have a strong feeling that our family members who have passed are always close by, watching over us. And thank goodness we are sealed to them forever!

a wynn wynn situation said...

So sorry to hear that. We'll have you and your whole family in our thoughts and prayers.

Michelle Tolboe said...

So sorry to hear about your grandpa. it's hard to see them go. Makes me not look forward to the day my parents die and cade has to say goodbye to them.

melissa marie said...

I'm so sorry Linds, I had no idea. It stinks losing grandparents they add so much vigor to life.

Meredith & Company said...

So sorry to hear about your grandpa. It's so hard to lose those people that are important to you. It always reminds me to make sure and tell the people I love how much I love them a little more often.

Nicole said...

Oh, sad! So sorry to hear about your loss. Grandparents are the best and so cute... it's always hard when they pass on. HOpe you are doing ok, you are in our thoughts!

jakeandstephanietaylor said...

Sorry I didnt read this before today...i talked to you on the phone and didnt know:( Are you doing ok? Im so sorry...It is sad to see them go but so wonderful to think of all their accomplishments and wonderful lives they lived!

Leah said...

So sorry for your lose! May you have comfort in the memories you've shared with him!