We had an emotional, yet beautiful day yesterday. Saying goodbye is so hard...but I truly feel Grandpa is with us everyday. I know he is going to be there to watch my children grow up and to prep any other children that will come into our family. It was so neat to see so many people at his funeral and realize what a great legacy he left.
As he isn't my biological grandpa, it was neat for me to learn things about him that I didn't know. The biggest surprise to me was that he was in the hospital for TWO years after he was diagnosed with Tuberculosis in his early twenties. They said he ended up in the hospital longer than he served in the Navy. CRAZY! They only gave him five years to live and told him it wouldn't be fair to go home and marry his wife (Grandma). After they ignored that they then said they shouldn't have kids...15 months later they had one...with five more to follow. His life was a miracle and I believe he was spared to create the wonderful family he has. I feel priviledged to be the mother of his posterity.
McKay was asked to sing "I Need Thee Every Hour" in a quartet and they did a great job. My Mother-in-Law also spoke (as did all the siblings) and did a wonderful job. She read a few of his journal entries which were neat to read. Our aunt Marilyn pulled out at least a dozen journals and placed them on the pulpit...what a great journal writer. It made me feel good that I'm at least trying with this blog :)
At the viewing Friday night we had the chance to meet Elder Christopherson from the Quorum of the Twelve. He was a neighbor to both my mother and father-in-law in their growing up years. It's always a neat experience to be in the presence of an apostle.
While we will miss Grandpa, we understand that at some point we're all going to go through death. I've had strong feelings this week that heaven really isn't as far as we may think. I've also thought alot about my own Grandpa's passing and how I know he's up watching over my family. How lucky are we to have amazing guardian angels!
Pam bought Tyke and Peyt darling matching suits. He looked SO DANG CUTE! I love my in-laws so much and am grateful to be so close to them!
Tyke, Peyt and Alaynah
How proud Grandpa must be in heaven of these two :)
I love you boys! Thanks to my parents for sitting with them during the funeral. It was nice to sit and enjoy the words that were said.
My amazing sisters (I think they're extra sisters instead of sister-in-laws!)
No comments:
Post a Comment